My photo
Being a modeller for quite a few years now, I decided to explore the endless possibilities that the world (through internet) offers, and come up with a series of ways of building, modelling and painting fast (but not hastily), to create the worlds I was seeing in history books since I was little. . .If you care to join me. . . This is the place to be! And, I promise you to find the way (or ways)!!

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Wooden Road Obstacles - W.I.P

Good day folks,

Last evening while I was reading a history book, for WW2 I came up with the idea, that besides the buildings and the monuments that make a city, it's the obstacles and the booby traps that make the city fortified.
With this in mind, I tried to make some road obstacles, made from wood (trunks of trees). Ι used some bamboo skewers for the task, 5 pieces of vinyl tiles, PVA glue and a metal file. In an hours' work that was the result:



Some small parts (cut and trimmed) for strengthening the vertical pieces.


And two photos with a 20mm figure beside them for reference.



Dimensions: L: 5.5 cm - H: 2.7 cm - W (with the base): 2.5cm.
I now have to add some sand on the bases and paint the whole lot.

Stay tuned for the finished products!! :-)
Have a nice day folks, from sunny and warm Athens.
T.

P.S: Any ideas of how to make bases of smoke (e.g explosions, smoke grenades etc.)??? Τhx in advance!

24 comments:

  1. Coming along nicely T.
    For explosion markers I use the stuffing out of pillows or old teddybears. Give it a spray with matt black, but it doesn't need to be black all over. When dry, grab a clump of the stuff and glue it to a decent sized metal washer. Once the glue dries start applying streaks of thick paint, working from the base up. Start with a dark red and then, orange/red; orange; pale orange, & finish with bright yellow streaks.
    Paint your washer ar black/grey.
    Trust me, it's easy & they look effective.
    I sacrificed an old bear I bought in a charity shop for mine- the fur comes in handy for fields & thatch too. Spray some of the stuffing dark brown then coat it with white glue, dip it in fine green flock, & you have hedges too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. done the same but used steel wool instead of bear guts. (lol)

      Delete
    2. That's about how I would do it John. Good obstacles Thanos, I have something along the same lines waiting for a bit of attention.

      Only one bear died in the making of this post!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jack (and anonymous and Paul)! It sounds very easy and staightforward! I'll try it! I'll have to find a teddybear....hmm....

      Delete
  2. Ingenius and a great result for an hour's work, looking forward to seeing the finished stands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I meant was: Great prelude! We are waiting for part II :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks mate. Part 2 is ready!

      Delete
  4. Those are looking good. I made some smoke markers similar to Jack Sarge's suggestion (you can see them halfway down the page, here http://anotherslipperyslope.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/marauders-over-curwen-turn-3-air-raid.html) . Mine were cotton wool, which would probably be too small, so his suggestion of stuffing is probably spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alan, it sounds easy and straightforward. Yours looks very well too. Cheers!

      Delete
  5. From a rainy Belgium, these look real good Thanos!

    Can't wait to see the finished product! ;-)

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come 'ere Peter! Nice and sunny!
      I just uploaded part 2!

      Delete
  6. Great obstacles T, I have seen photos of these used on the Russian Front. Do you mind if I put a few of my own together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own copyright mate....it'll be my pleasure to see your work. Cheers!

      Delete
  7. Those are really nice and....cheap, a good combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our sort of thing here in Greece nowadays Fran! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I think they can be used in many ways Ray. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Jacksarge, those are some fantastic tips. The blokes who play FOW at my local wargaming club did something very similar for their explosion markers...I think FOW had instructions in one of their books at one stage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awsome. I must add some removable barracades to my city stuff. cool looking city you made. I am in awe of your work so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Gowan. It's a work of some years now..and it keeps getting bigger and bigger!

      Delete
    2. Thx Gowan. It's some years work. And it keeps getting bigger and bigger! :-)

      Delete